Suchen / Search

Sonntag, 24. April 2011

Chris Brown - F.A.M.E. Review

Yes, I know I'm a bit late with this review, because "F.A.M.E." dropped more than one month ago.But I still wanna share this with you.
"F.A.M.E" released March 18, 2011, on Jive Records and means "Forgiving All My Enemies" and "Fans Are My Everything".
Many producers and songwriters, including  Benny Benassi, Timbaland and Kevin McCall, worked together with Chris Brown to create this fantastic album.
The album debuted at number 1. on the US-Billboard 200 chart,selling 270,000 copies in the first week.

Chris Brown described his album like this:"On this album some of the songs are more grown-up. There are songs from all genres: from street records to others that are real soul, 808 heavy that you'll hear in the club, and then others are strictly for the heart; songs that your mom and grandma can listen to and love. Collectively, F.A.M.E. is me giving fans every aspect of who I am as far as my art, my culture, and my concepts." (source: http://www.prnewswire.com/)

Now I'll give you a review on the Songs in detail:


1.Deuces (feat. Tyga & Kevin McCall)
This Song was sold one Million times and went on number 14 on the Billboard 100 chart.
It is a slow RnB/Rap song that was also released on the "Fan of a Fan" Mixtape with Tyga.
"Deuces" is one of my favourites on this album. It tells the story of a failed relationship with a slow and chilled flow. The beat works very fine with Chris' and Tyga's voice. Kevin McCall plays with his words what i find also very nice. Chris really shows his whole potential in this song by using slow, melancholic raps in the first verse or his great singing-voice in the refrain. The Refrain is what makes this song awesome and special, because the beat and Chris' voice just sound like they belong together. All in all it's a great collabo and an essential part of the album.
Rating: 10/10


2.Up to You
After "Deuces" which I'd more classify as a Hip Hop or Rap song, follows "Up to You" a classical "Chris-Brown-Ballad".
In this tune I like the verses and especially the bridges more than the refrain, 'cause it just sounds more suitable to Breezy's voice. It's one of the "bedroomsongs" in this album.
Rating: 9/10

3. No BS
Also a "bedroomsong" but much dirtier than "Up to You". And when I said dirty, I really mean dirty!
The song is about sex, nothing more and nothing less.
His voice is nice as always, but it feels like there's something missing in the song.
It was also released on the mixtapes "Fan of a Fan" and "In My Zone 2", so I think this could have been a bonus song, not the third song.
Rating: 8,5/10


4.Look At Me Now (feat. Busta Rhymes & Lil Wayne)
The second published single of "F.A.M.E." with almost 800.000 sales and the second Highlight for me. It's peak position on the Billboard 100 chart was 6, but in my opinion it could be on places one to three, too.
Finest Hip Hop with an awesome beat produced by Afrojack. Busta is incredibly fast in this track, and Chris has done a respectable job, too. Weezy isn't very noticeable, but he's still in.
Rating: 9,5/10

5.She Ain't You
This song is a sampled version of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature". It's a very nice pop song with great lyrics. Here's an example:

"You make it hard for me
to see somebody else
im calling her your name
and yeah its messed up
cause im thinkin bout you
cause youre far babe
i never wanted us to break up
no not this way
but you dont understand it girl
when she touches me
im wishing that they were your hands
and when im with her its only bout the sex
with you i had a bad romance
and if i could
just trade her in i would
cause nobody compares to you nooo...yeah"

So the song deals with the situation of missing someone. You already got a new girl, but still want your old girlfriend back and you think all the time about her, even if you are together with your new girlfriend.
The style is pop, which i normally don't like on Chris, but this song is marvelous and another Highlight. It's peak position on the Billboard 100 chart is 90.
Rating: 10/10



6.Say It With Me
A pop song again, but not as good as "She A'int You". One of a few songs on "F.A.M.E." I don't really like to listen to. It sounds like a Michael Jackson song in the 90's, especially the refrain.
The verses aren't that bad, they even sound a bit like rap, but the refrain is just too....I'd say kitschy.
Rating: 6,5/10


7.Yeah 3x
This single reached the TOP 10 in Germany, Austria, UK and Switzerland. In the US its peak position was 15.
Yeah 3x is a pop-dance song, which is really fun. It's perfect for dancing or singing and suitable for clubs/pubs.
It's one of those mainstream songs to get back to success, which Chris needed.
Rating: 9/10

8.Next to You (feat. Justin Bieber)
A collabo with teeniestar Justin Bieber. First I didn't know what to think about it, but while listening I noticed that it was a great idea. "Next to You" is a powerful RnB ballad with nice verses and a very great,emotional refrain with all the best off both voices. It's the last but one released single of "F.A.M.E." and it reached number 26 on Billboard 100 chart.
You should check out the "Up" Remix by Justin Bieber and Chris, too if you like this.
Rating: 9,5/10

9.All Back
A wonderfull ballad with Chris' voice in the foreground accompanied by piano and guitars.
In my opinion it is the best ballad on this CD and a perfect contrast to songs like " Look At Me Now".
Nothing more to say, just listen and enjoy :)

"If I had the secret
The secret to your love
I would plant your treasure beneath my heart
Lock it all up
Throw away the key
I would never give it up
Cause I was just a fool
A fool for you
And I loved you so childishly"

Rating: 10/10 

10.Wet the Bed (feat. Ludacris)
Again a collaboration, this time with Ludacris, who features currently almost every new RnB album.
Erotical like "No BS" and also a "bedroomsong". The flow of this song is slow, seductive and perfectly matching to Breezy's voice. I love this song for Luda's part, he goes really hard these days.
The refrain is kinda funny, but also very hot and well-sung.
I believe that Chris makes you wet the bed ;)
Rating: 10/10


11.Oh My Love
After three slow tunes, here comes a very fast one. This single sounds kinda discrepant for me.
In the verses Chris sings to a hard beat and it sounds a bit like rap. The bridge consists of extreme fast rapping to a fast, aggressive beat flowing into the refrain with a peaceful, positive beat and voice.
I dont like this counterpoint at all, but it's audible.
Rating: 7/10

12.Should've Kissed You
Chris gets back to his best again: slow,romantical ballads with a bit instrumental accompaniment in the background and his brilliant voice in the foreground.
In "Should've Kissed You" he exactly shows that. I had to get used to this song, but after listening few times, I really started to love it. Not a superhit, but a great song to listen to between the others.
Rating: 9/10

13.Beautiful People (feat. Benny Benassi)
The last released single. It's a house song. Yes, really a HOUSE song. It takes much getting used to this song for me as an admirer of Chris Brown's voice in slow or hip hop songs, but it's a really solid successful house song, that is not produced by David Guetta.
I like the pitch of the song towards the end.
Rating: 8,5/10

14.Bomb (feat. Wiz Khalifa)
I'm a big fan of both artists and they both decorate my blog in the background picture, but this song isn't as good as i expected it to be.
It's more like average, even if it is different from the other songs.
Rating: 8/10

Bonus Songs:
15.Love the Girls (feat. Game)
I don't know what to say about this feature. I didn't like Chris' collaborations with Game beginning with "Nice" of "Exclusive". It's kinda monotonous and unspectacular.
Rating: 6/10 

16.Paper, Scissors, Rock (feat. Timbaland & Big Sean)
Yes, Timbaland is involved, too, namely in the last collabo of "F.A.M.E.". Big Sean who was also on "In My Zone 2" gets a guest appearance which he really deserved.
The sounds typically like Timbaland and I am a Timbaland fan normally, but it is almost always the same beats. Furthermore, Breezy and Big Sean are doing a good job in this single and all in all it is an audible song. I am fine with the refrain.
Rating: 8/10

17.Beg For It
"Beg For It" is a audible, non-superior ballad and at itself a good song, but for my taste there's too much autotune -.- Please Obey Jay-Z when he's talking about the "Dead of Autotune" :D

Additional Track:
18.Champion (feat. Chipmunk)
Chris is just excellent in this song. Both the refrain and his rap part make this song what it is.
The refrain is an earworm and in Breezy's rap, it just feels like his words come right from his heart.
UK-Rapper Chipmunk is ok, but i don't really like his flow.
If this was only Chris' song, i think i would rate it with 10.
Rating: 9/10

Conclusion:
"F.A.M.E." is Chris Brown's way right back to the top. It deserved to hit the Billboard 200 chart at number 1. The album is very rich in variety, what makes it very comfortable to listen to.
Breezy really masters a huge  number of music genres, which he shows in this album.
I am looking forward to his following album "Fortune" which is announced for autumn 2011 and
hope that people don't look at mistakes he has done in the past anymore, but at his main force: the music.

I hope you like it :)
Please subscribe and comment!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen